Monday, February 25, 2008

More Than Two Choices

If you haven't read the previous post then please do so now. It contains an important point I wanted to get across before saying this. I didn't want the messages to get confused.

Male or female. For most it is one or the other, but it isn't that simple. It'd be nice if it were, wouldn't it? It's more of a sliding scale of sorts. There are manly men... not so manly men. Women that act like men. Of course then you get into the women that have become men, and the men that have become women. Even if you don't decide to grow a pair of boobs(or get them removed) you probably don't fit perfectly on either end. Barriers have continued to degrade over the decades. The lines become less and less clear. Traditional roles have all but disappeared. We're reaching the point where we can't really say what a man or woman should be. The old stereotypes can get downright offensive in this day and age.

I am WOMAN. Hear me ROAR. That was the gist of the previous post. I am a woman. No matter what you think of my choice, treat me as a woman. That is the only thing I ask. That is all I want. To be one of the girls. I might have the wrong thing between my legs, but I am still like any other woman. Well, not quite. It's a complicated issue. I'm not like any other woman. I talk the talk. I walk the walk, but I am still not quite like any other girl. My experiences are unique. Anyone happy with their gender wouldn't understand what I went through.. just as I couldn't understand being happy with how I was made. I'm a strange mix of man and woman. I'm something different altogether.

I actually.. kind of like it. Don't get me wrong. I don't regret my path till now. It was hard, but I'd do it all again. I like where I am. I like how I am treated like any other woman. I wouldn't have it any other way. I hated having to struggle to fill the male role. I hated having to pretend. I hated not living up to expectations of me. It was horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Still, over time I've become attached to the idea of being a chick with a little something extra. When I started I thought I would go all the way. I'd get it cut off and a hole put in its place, but I've found that I am enjoying where I am now. Rather than striving and struggling to fit the perfect female image.. I've managed to find some place in the middle that I am comfortable being at. Much more woman than man, but still not all the way. I'm a strange and unique creature, and that suits me just fine. I'm not the only one either. More and more find more comfort in dancing in the middle rather than off to one side.

You don't have to change anything about yourself physically. You merely need to stop hiding your own quirks. Don't be afraid to walk down that doll isle. Won't you join me in the fun? Dancing in that strange land in between. Enjoying the fine line that separates the two.

Then again, everyone has something that makes them unique. Not every girl is the same. Not every man is the same. Maybe this is just what makes me special?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As long as you end up happy, the journy is always worth it. And no one should have the right to tell other people whether they have the right to be happy. Even if they try.